Thursday, August 30, 2012

Being a Digital Immigrant isn't so Bad

 I was born in 1982, right on the dividing line described by Prensky, for digital natives and digital immigrants.  I see myself more as a digital immigrant than a digital native, though I use many technologies and social media that are popular today I feel like I'm not using them to their fullest extent.  Hopefully classes like EDIT 2000 and others I will be taking will help me utilize all the technology and social media available for use in the classroom.  I would definitely agree that here in the digital age students spend a lot more time behind a screen and pounding on a keyboard.  Students are able to research topics and gather information faster, better, and more thoroughly than ever before.  What I don't agree with is that because of all this available technology that students today have a hard time learning something that is not on some type of screen.  After reading "Digital Nativism" I think that Prensky is, well I'm not going to say wrong, but I think he needs to do a little more research on his digital natives.  Some of his claims are outlandish, like digital natives do better with multitasking and are bored by doing one thing at a time.  After all this reading we were asked to think about the mindset list much like this list of current day 4th graders, and some things that they will not get to experience or remember.

1.  They can only read about all the years the Braves won their division.
2.  Missed out on the MySpace to Facebook migration.
3.  The letters TRL mean nothing.   
4.  Unless gas prices drop dramatically they'll never see a brand new Hummer.
5.  Dubstep will be oldies music to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment