Thursday, August 30, 2012

My Thoughts on Learning

I have taken many education classes and have been able to think a lot about my philosophy of learning and how people learn.  I am a big subscriber to the tabula rasa theory of learning.  Tabula rasa means blank slate and I thoroughly believe that everyone is born with a blank slate and it is up to us, our parents, our peers, and our teachers to help fill this tablet with pertinent information.  All people learn in different ways, for me I learn best by watching and listening.  Taking pages of notes has never helped me all that much, but if teachers would somehow put all their lessons into video form I think school would be easier than ever.  I also believe that most people learn best with a lot of practice, detailed lessons, and just a little bit of rote memorization, plus when people are having fun with their lessons the learning seems to come a little easier.  Hopefully when I teach I will be able to pull from all my resources and make my lessons fun and informational.  I would like to include video clips, games, and and be able to relate to what we are learning to some real world experiences.  To me practice is one of the more important processes in the learning process.  After practice another important process to me is one's ability to comprehend what they are reading.  Without reading comprehension students would be going nowhere in their academic careers.

1 comment:

  1. I like your analysis and support of tabula rasa. I think it's important that we give all of our students equal footing and time to decide the type of learners they want to be. I like the fact that you address that people learn differently. I think your strategies of teaching in your future classroom will appeal to all types of learners, which is what you are aiming for in the first place.

    ReplyDelete